Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Halloween Survival Story

ScavengeInc.com is our online costume store. In addition, there is our retail store, Scavenge, in Santa Barbara, CA. Things get downright crazy there as Halloween gets closer. Work days get longer and longer, the crowds get bigger, and the people get more and more desperate and stressed.



I put in lots of time there in the weeks leading up to Halloween. The feet get sore, the house gets messier and messier, and (just about) everything else in the world gets put on hold.

To keep in the spirit of the season (by the way, when exactly did Halloween reach “season” status?), I come to work in costume for those final days leading up to Halloween. So it’s not just thinking of one costume, but seven! And here they are . . .


Started out fun, and celebrating my refusal to grow up, wearing the coolest Peter Pan costume. I love this thing. It’s simple, it’s comfortable, it’s fun looking. I was ready for NeverNeverLand by the end of the day, though! My poor tootsies were aching after 8 hours standing a walking in ballet-type shoes.


Did I learn my lesson, though? NOOO! The next day, I dressed as first-mate pirate. Back in the ballet shoes, so I could show off my cool stripey pirate-type socks. I put this outfit together myself (mini skirt, striped t-shirt, satin bandana, belt and sword, to go along with my socks), but people kept asking where in the store they could find this costume.


I needed a break from aching feet, so I decided I would come up with a costume based on shoes first. So I picked out my most comfortable shoes (some big old Doc Martins) and came up with something to go with that. So here I am, a Rambo-inspired soldier. Maybe not the best look ever, but the feet were happy with me.

I had planned to be Wonder Woman for the next day, but that costume just wasn’t made to fit me. I already had the boots, so I was excited to get to do the whole look. The extra small size just crushed my chest, and the small was too long in the torso. It was all good, if I were doing Wonder Woman, I’d prefer the panty bottoms anyway.



So the ever-ready pirate outfit was my fallback. (Confession time – I have about 6 different pirate outits. Do you think that means something?) This one is actually made from a guy’s costume. I eliminated the pants, just wore the shirt and headband. Topped it off with some tights and my, way-cool, pirate boots. Not ultra-comfy on the feet, but not nearly as torturous as the ballet shoes. The feet merely grumbled a bit at the end of the day. This was a tough day, though, and I was one pooped pirate by closing time.





I let someone else pick my costume for the next day – my boss. I was a lucky Leprechaun for the work. It’s a one piece strappy dress, with a long-tailed shrug. Topped off with this fun hat, some black thigh-high stockings, and another pair of even more comfortable Doc Martins and I was a happy girl.

The final two days before Halloween are pure craziness. Mostly guys in the throws of last minute desperation. It’s nuts! We had a line down the street to get in the store and people smashed into every open space. This was a situation that needed some SUPERness. So out came the seasonal superhero – the Halloween Hero! She appears every Halloween to rescue those poor helpless folks who wait until the last minute to get their costumes. Faster than a speeding witch, stronger than Frankenstein, able to point customers to their perfect costume in a single wave. Someone suggested a name change – she may be called the Great Pumpkin in years to come. Something to ponder for the next 12 months.


Finally, a classic costume to finish out the madness – a simple, yet effective witch. I haven’t been a witch since I was a little girl. Maybe some green skin and a long crooked nose would have been a nice touch with those green and black striped tights of mine. Next time.

No comments: